The artist portal for Oakland FIGMENT is now CLOSED for submission but you can still participate!
FIGMENT Oakland 2017 will be a one-day participatory arts event held at Mosswood Park on June 10, showcasing art that encourages participants to play, dance, sing, create, engage, experiment, and explore their environment. The event accepts submissions from artists of all ages and experience.
How to Submit Your Project
Before you submit:
- Please read the new Artist’s Guide to Leave No Trace for more information on what LNT means for artists
- Please read the Artists Tips & Tricks Guide which provides guidelines on how to make your project as FIGMENT-worthy as possible!
To submit your project:
We are now closed for submission but if you would still like to participate please come with your art to Mosswood Park before 10a and talk to our curation team. If you have production needs such as tables or power please email the Oakland team IMMEDIATELY
9 Things Artists Should Know about FIGMENT
FIGMENT is not your typical art event. Here are 9 key things to keep in mind before submitting to FIGMENT. Most of them are discussed in detail below or in the Artists Tips and Tricks Guide.
- Everyone is welcome. Artists and participants of any age or experience are welcome to be a part of FIGMENT.
- All art is participatory. All of the art at FIGMENT is participatory. We look for art that encourages people to play, dance, sing, create, engage, experiment, and explore their environment. See below for our curatorial considerations.
- No sales, logos, or advertising. The art at FIGMENT is a gift from the artist to the FIGMENT community. Nothing is for sale at FIGMENT. At FIGMENT, interactions between people are not mediated by commercial transactions of any kind. There is no advertising, nothing is for sale, and no one asks for donations.
- We’re outdoors in a public park. FIGMENT takes place outdoors in a public area, so your project should be designed to withstand the weather and the public.
- We leave no trace. Your project can not leave any trace or mark Mosswood, and artists must be prepared to completely remove and clean up after their project. See our LNT Guide for more information.
- We’re all volunteer. FIGMENT Oakland is an all-volunteer organization. Our staff gives their time as a gift to artists and participants. Additionally, artists need to supply all of the labor they need to install, supervise, and deinstall their project.
- FIGMENT Oakland is a completely free event. There is no charge for artists or participants to be a part of the event.
- We have no artists grants. The Weekend event does not have a budget for project grants.
- We're in other cities, too! There are FIGMENT Weekend events happening around the globe, and we encourage artists to bring their projects to multiple cities! Find out where else FIGMENT is happening.
CURATORIAL CONSIDERATIONS: HOW WE EVALUATE PROJECT SUBMISSIONS
The FIGMENT Curatorial Team is primarily concerned with the suitability of your project for FIGMENT and Mosswood Park, as opposed to artist experience, education or previous exhibitions of the piece. Artists of any age or experience are welcome to be a part of FIGMENT as long as the project is interactive, upholds our principles, and does not violate Park rules. Here are some questions you should ask yourself when preparing a project for FIGMENT.
Is it interactive?
Interactive or Participatory art blurs the lines between the artist, the art, and people engaging with the art. We look for art that encourages people to play, dance, sing, create, engage, experiment, and explore their environment. Theatre, dance, music, performance art, games, creative costuming, workshops and activities are all common genres found at FIGMENT. Three dimensional sculptural installations are also common at FIGMENT, as the participant’s experience of the piece alters as he or she moves around it.
We generally do not accept “wall art” such as finished paintings or photography and do not have space to display such works. Artists working in those genres are encouraged to find a way to engage FIGMENT participants in creating such works, displaying such works inside a larger sculptural installation, collaborating with a performance art event, or creating some other participatory experience that involves such works.
Does it uphold the FIGMENT Principles?
In addition to being interactive, art at FIGMENT must be consistent with our 11 principles. FIGMENT has 11 principles that shape our event, giving our events a unique flavor and experience found in few places elsewhere in the world. They also guide the curators in selecting art appropriate for the event. Upholding the principles presents challenges to FIGMENT artists, staff, and volunteers that many other art events do not have to address.
Is it durable and designed for the environment?
FIGMENT is a rain or shine event held outdoors on public park land that faces the ocean. We do not have indoor storage space for projects, and the event does not have secure borders. This means a few things:
Projects brought to FIGMENT must be able to withstand heavy rain and wind. It’s okay to disassemble or cover your project in the event of rain (or at the end of the day, just in case), but you need to be prepared for rain. If your project falls apart in the wind or rain, it is your responsibility to clean it up.Projects must be durable and ready to have up to 2,000 people interacting with it. Projects made from fragile or flimsy materials will not be accepted. Projects must also be designed with security in mind—the Park is open to the public during the day. Valuable equipment or materials are left unattended at the artist’s own risk.
Does it pose a threat to LNT?
We take our principle of Leave No Trace seriously. Your project can not leave any trace or mark on the Park, and artists must be prepared to clean up after their project. For more details on what this means and how to comply, see our Artists Tips and Tricks Guide.
Is it feasible to bring to Mosswood? Does it pose legal or liability issues?
Artist history & experience
As we stated earlier, artists of any age or experience are welcome to be a part of FIGMENT. We consider artist history and experience largely for placement and PR purposes only.