Registration is officially now open on the FIGMENT Artist Submission Portal.
We are excited to announce that FIGMENT Oakland is now accepting project submissions for our September 29th event. Already, we're receiving some amazing projects on our submission portal Of course, the more art the better, and we look forward to seeing your submission between now and the September 1st deadline.
Who are we? FIGMENT is a non-profit organization dedicated to participatory and interactive art that transcends disciplines. What types of projects work well at FIGMENT? Glad you asked! FIGMENT Oakland provides a unique opportunity to showcase pieces that don't really fit into traditional exhibition spaces. Pieces that are too hands-on, too participatory, too site specific, too experimental, too messy or loud or playful or large. This can take any number of forms and speak to any number of creators, including
*performance artists * installation artists * interaction designers * crafters * art teachers * musicians * dancers * circus performers * interactive tech artists * game designers * art therapists * kinetic sculptors * mobile artists * costume designers * community practice devotees * theater troupes * sculptors * and YOU!*
FIGMENT Oakland takes place in Mosswood Park, including the open field, the trees, the amphitheater, and the Community Center. There will be some water and power available. Please note, we are NOT planning to provide amplified sound in the amphitheater at this point in time, nor are we applying for a fire art permit.
If this sounds like your idea of a community-based festival that you want to be part of, we’d love to discuss your ideas at one of our Team Meetings or Artist Meetups. See here for a full schedule.
When you’re ready to submit your piece to FIGMENT Oakland, we’ve created a short guide to walk you through the process!
Submitting Your Work to FIGMENT Oakland 2018
Before you submit, please take a moment to read the Tips and Tricks Guide! The Guide contains practical installation and de-installation tips, rules of engagement and construction limitations at Mosswood Park, a list of things you should absolutely bring to the park, a list of things you absolutely CANNOT bring to the park, and the 11 Principles of FIGMENT.
To submit your project, create an account on the FIGMENT Artist Submission Portal to begin your submission process.
Once you’ve created your account, log back in and choose Oakland as the city you’d like to create a project for. Next, begin a project proposal draft and once it’s complete click on the submit button (Your draft will not be deleted if you log out). Once the project has been submitted, you’ll no longer be able to make changes to that project, although your curator can on your behalf.
IMPORTANT we cannot guarantee space for all projects so be sure to submit your project early! Also, the earlier you submit your project the more personal attention you will get from our Curatorial Team! DEADLINE to submit your art project for FIGMENT Oakland is by 11:59pm PST on September 1st, 2018. Please don’t wait until September 1st to apply!
Projects can be submitted by an individual, collective, or community group. There is no age restriction for submitting a project to FIGMENT. We ask that artists think on the following when designing and submitting a project:
We encourage you to consider the following before submitting your proposal:
- Drawing inspiration from other community-based arts events, the development, production, and experience of FIGMENT is guided by 11 principles. FIGMENT seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising.
- What type of location would suit your project? A grass space? Pavement? Indoor space? You may request a type of location; however, precise placement of projects and performances is at the discretion of the FIGMENT planning team.
- Artists will work with their assigned curator to realize their project; your curator will answer any questions you might have during the course of preparing for, installing and deinstalling your installation, or preparing for, setting up and executing your performance.
- Artists who bring an installation must plan to personally be on site during FIGMENT.
- Artists are responsible for any volunteers or additional performers needed during the event, or for installation or deinstallation. FIGMENT staff will work with you and your curator to try and assist with volunteer needs, but we cannot promise staff at this point in time.
- Artists who are bringing an installation or building a performance area are responsible for transportation of all materials to the park. We encourage artists to think outside the box about ways to transport their materials.
- Artists will be asked to agree to a FIGMENT Waiver and Policies online before they submit their project, and will be asked to sign the same waiver in person prior to installation or performance setup.
- Submissions open: June 1st, 2018
- Project submission deadline: September 1st, 2018 (11:59pm PST)
- Artist Meetups in Mosswood Park will be happening in June, July, August, and September. See here for the schedule.
- Installation and setup start: Saturday September 29th, 2018 from 7am to 10:30am
- Installation completion: by Saturday September 29th, 2018 11:00am
- FIGMENT Oakland: Saturday September 29th, 2018, 11am to 5pm
- Uninstallation: Saturday September 29th, 2018, from 5pm to 10pm
Have questions about your project? Please address any questions to email@example.com
We look forward to seeing you, hearing your ideas, and collaborating with you in the coming months, and at Mosswood Park on September 29th!
Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and our website for fun art stories and to keep up to date on this year's event. We also have a new Facebook Group for past, present, and future artists and volunteers.
- The FIGMENT Oakland Team